Wednesday, September 7, 2011

What happened at the opening of Proudly African and Transgender in Berlin?

I just got of the skype call from Berlin where the exhibition is opening.

I was honoured to do an opening speach at this event. Thanks to Gabrielle Le Roux and Amnesty International.

In short, I spoke about the origin of this exhibition right from the time that I first met Gabrielle in 2002. Following this, I shared with those present about the African trans movement. Generally, I focused on where we were before, the various initiatives, processes and events, that let to more organizing on the continent, noting that prior to 2008, there was only one transgender organization on the whole continent, Gender DynamiX.

I spoke about the Nairobi Trans Declaration of 2007 and the Gender Identity Workshop for Eastern and Southern Africa in Cape Town, South Africa in 2008. I shared how these 2 events were very instrumental in the emergency of the movement in the region.

Time was against me but I had prepared to share about the Maputo CAL workshop as well as the role of GDX in the emergency of the movement in Africa. I found time though to name all the organizations and support groups that have emerged since 2008 as follows;

1. Transgender, Intersex and Transesxuals Uganda (TITs-Uganda)
2. Transgender Education and Advocay (TEA) in Kenya
3. Trans Bantu in Zambia
4. TAMON in Namibia
5. Rainbow Identity Association (RIA), Botswana
6. Trangender and Intersex Africa (TIA), South Africa
7. True Identity, Zimbabwe
8. Coalition of African Sisters, Eastern Cape, South Africa

Just after the presentation, checked my mail and learnt that there is also African AgenDER (AA), Soweto, South Africa and Trans Support Uganda (TRASU). Amazing!!

The function is still going on and in case I get any reports from there, I will definitely share them.

I will also share with you, right here on the blog, about the Nairobi Trans Declaration of 2007 as well as the Eastern and Southern Africa Gender Identity Workshop, December 2008.

Watch the space.

No comments:

Post a Comment